Thursday, April 7, 2016

Celebrating Failure

1) In class this semester I have failed during the interview and video assignments. Most of the time I immediately chose not to complete these types of assignments because it seemed like such a big task to take on and I always had other things to do instead. I rationalized my decision to not complete the interview assignments because of the extra credit opportunities.
2) By opting to not complete these assignments throughout different points of the semester I learned that there are going to be things in life, especially in my job later in life, that I will have no desire to do but I will have no choice. In this class, I did have a choice to not do an assignment because there are extra credit opportunities to make up for it. However, I realized that this will not be the case when I am assigned a tedious, even annoying, project at my job.
3) There are not many times where I have truly failed throughout my life. If I ever have it has been something very small that eventually becomes irrelevant and I forget about it. I am starting to realize that as I get older my failures may become more and more relevant and important. However, it is something we all just have to accept because nobody is perfect and things are going to go wrong at some point. Emotionally, I try to handle failure by always staying positive and trying to make up for a failure in a different way with something that I excel at. If you accept your failure, find a silver lining, and learn from your mistake, you will become a better person because of it. The biggest thing I have learned about failure is that it is not a bad, negative thing. It is a regular occurrance throughout life and there is nothing you can do about it. So the best option is to learn from it and move on.

3 comments:

  1. Amy, I was in the same boat with you with a lot of the video assignments as well. I also rationalized them with extra credit. But, then I learned that I can't keep doing that because of the same reasons pretty much. I thought to myself, if I had a full time job and my boss wanted me to take on something I saw as a large tasks, I wouldn't just put it to the side and hope I could do something else to impress him. This is when I realized I had to at least try every assignment, even if it meant somewhat failing at it and it being a bust. I agree you must learn and move on with failure!

    Check out my post on celebrating failure: http://rachelsentrepreneurship.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy,
    Thanks for being so honest in your post about failure. That in itself is a hard thing to write down about yourself. I have been in sales and marketing for many years so these types of exercises came pretty easy to me. It was awesome that there are extra credit points to cover the things that you did not want to do. Life a lot of times is about tradeoffs. I have found that through my failures I have grown with experience.
    Thank you for sharing your story with the class. If you want to read my blog click the link: http://9to5isoverrated.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy I really enjoyed reading your post about celebrating failures. It reminded me a lot of my own struggles with learning to accept failures. You were very honest which is an important thing to be to really analyze yourself. Please check out my post and comment on it over at http://jlopez3003.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete